Hi! I’m a second-year Statistics Ph.D. student at Stanford investigating natural language processing and machine learning.
- A post on why naive cross-validation can fail for feature selection.
- My presentation notes on feature selection and multiple hypothesis testing, based on several great lectures by Emmanuel Candes.
- My presentation notes on random matrices, prepared for Percy Liang’s reading group.
- A general-purpose speech recognition system you can deploy with just a few lines of Python: github.com/kelvingu/simple-speech-recognition
A few entities that I think are awesome
- Doug Engelbart. We still need to finish this guy’s mission.
- Wikipedia and Freebase.
- Jon Kabat-Zinn. For bringing scientific attention to the study of mindfulness.
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. I think they make a huge impact by bringing an investor’s mindset to important and good causes.